What’s the difference between an Overland Water Endorsement and “flood insurance”?

Historically, the term flood in the Canadian insurance industry applies to water originating from a body of salt water, while overland water is defined as originating from fresh water bodies of water such as lakes and rivers. Flooding caused by any body of salt water such as a tsunami, tidal waves, currents, etc., is still excluded from insurance policies. The introduction of Overland Water Endorsements mean that fresh water flooding is now an insurable option in Alberta and other parts of the country. Overland water includes coverage for water damage resulting from excess rainfall and rising river waters.